The temperatures are still in the 90's and I am looking longingly at my sweatshirts. The forecast has been saying 80's for next week but when next week gets here, it changes to 90's. As far as I can remember, the weather is always chilly for Halloween and all of the princesses and thinly clothed ghouls must shiver while hunting down their candy. My other reason for wanting the weather to change is my tired wardrobe. Either I pull out the long-sleeved shirts or I buy something new. I'd rather not spend money on clothes besides something from the thrift store now and then.
So, my veterinarian just called and offered to do Jimmy-dog's pheochromocytoma tumor removal surgery for $3,000-$3,500. The estimate from the specialist was $5,000-$7,000. The reason she recommended going with a specialist initially was because she was worried that the adrenal tumor had latched on to the vena cava. Since the ultrasound showed that it had not grown that big yet, my vet is willing to try the surgery. She has never done this surgery specifically, but she has removed other tumors. I had decided not to do the surgery because it seemed too risky and I didn't want to pay $7,000 with only a dead dog to show for it. But now that my vet is all excited about doing it, I'm considering it again. It would leave only $1,000 in my emergency fund but it wouldn't take that long for the fund to recover as long as there weren't more costly emergencies in my immediate future. I was planning to use that $3,000 next year to speed up my mortgage repayment plan if nothing important came up. I think something Important came up. It seems like I should do it so that he will feel better. I don't really know how he feels except that he drinks a lot of water and has to pee a lot. I'm hoping that it will fix his bloating issue, help him lose weight, and reduce the strain on his back. I think I've talked myself in to it, at this point. Surgery would be November 8th. I'm already a nervous wreck.
Having pets is so traumatic. Good luck though obviously
We went from 31c, 88f last week in Crete to 13c, 55f here in Allbrook. Its lovely!
Traumatic and expensive! But they are wonderful companions. 13c/55f sounds like our winter. Brrrr. Break out the snowsuits and hot cocoa!
Daizy, you seem to have an endless number of ways to bust your monthly budget. It's a miracle sometimes that you can make progress toward your early retirement.
We have had a quick temperature drop here in New York. After some delightful indian summer days earlier in the week, the temp dropped from 70F to 50F in 12 hours! And it will drop into the 40s by tonight. It's a miserable drop, too, with some rain, no sun, and lots of wind. You get a wind chill when it's 50 with 20 MPH winds.
Oh man I feel for you. I get that way around hard treatments on all my pets so I totally get that. I am hoping for a successful surgery! Meanwhile, in the North Bend, WA area, fall is in full swing. At least it is not pouring today. It is actually a beautiful fall day...
50 with 20MPH winds sounds like Arizona's winter! I'd have to get out my snow coat.
All of these budget-busters are helping me put together a realistic early retirement plan so it's Ok. At least I still have a job to get through these bills now.
I'm already paying around $85/month for his medicine so if this surgery is a success, I shouldn't have to pay that at least. I'm still weighing the pros and cons. Such a hard thing to decide when the outcome is uncertain. Your non-rainy day in Washington sounds lovely. I washed all my sweatshirts in anticipation of cooler weather soon!
Our 10 year old lab had laryngeal paralysis. He had surgery to the tune of $2600 back in 2013. I asked the vet if the surgery would get us 5 more years out of him. He said yes, so we went forward. The dog is 13.5 years old now and is doing great! Best money I ever spent.
Its been in the 80s here in the mid-atlantic. Finally Saturday it dropped into the 50s with rain and 40 mile an hour winds. Yuck!
I'm so glad that the surgery worked well. My dog is only 7 so I hope I get another 7 but I'd be happy with...hmm, hard to say, I'll be thrilled if he makes it through the surgery, then I hope his symptoms disappear, then live to old age! 40 mile an hour winds sound awful. I would hide indoors.
You are awesome Daizy, and Jimmy dog is lucky to have a human like you! I will be pulling for him and you. Good luck!
P.S.: One year I spent 10k on my two dogs (remove cataracts and repair ACLs) ... it gave both many years of quality life and I would do it every year if I had to.
Wow, 10k! That sounds like a lot but I'll probably be close to 8k this year between all the dogs. It adds up fast. I am so glad the surgeries were successful. As the song says, waiting is the hardest part. I want it to be over with and to know whether Jimmy-dog makes it through Ok. I'm trying not to think about it since it makes me tear up.
Post a Comment