The tools that I ordered online arrived. They are lovely and I already used the nail gun. It's fun!
You will be happy to hear that my bucket toilet also arrived. This is for any immediate bathroom needs in the barn-house, not that anyone is moving in just yet. It is super-water saving because it uses sawdust, not water.
I cut an access hole in the back bedroom which I am using for storage. It gives me access to the water heater closet. I need to fashion a door to seal it off. The wind tore off the outside door and now rain gets in. When I stuck my head through the hole I saw an angry wasp guarding a nest. Eek. I had to evict them. I need to buy some sort of semi-flexible plastic panel that can be glued in the space and then caulked so water and creatures don't move in.
There was a non-functional floor vent in the bathroom. I used a little too much Great Stuff foam. It looked like a loaf of bread. I cut it off and glued a metal sheet over the hole.
My niece was brave enough to tackle the roof. She rolled on elastomeric roof coating until it ran out. I need to buy more this week so she can finish.
I practiced my demolition skills on the bathroom vanity. It was disgusting and now it is gone. I saved the sink and hope to use it as an outdoor hand washing station eventually. I am running out of money fast so the 1980 wallpaper and paneling will most likely stay. The new vanity will be purchased this week. Nothing fancy, just the basic $50 cabinet and sink from Home Depot.
I'm going to have lots of fun figuring out the plumbing. I am replacing the water pump, water heater, and hoping to add some black hose on the roof for solar hot water.
My niece took out the old caulk and scrubbed the bathtub. I looked under the mobile home and it turns out the floor isn't rotted so that is good. That's right, the classic 80's yellow tub can stay. New caulk is on the shopping list.
Those are all the photos from last weekend. The anchors for the barn-house failed. I hired a guy with a jack hammer to sink them but the cable broke and the driving rod bent on the first one. I need a new idea for anchors.
And finally, today I got home a little early and I was determined to fix the door lock on my truck. My niece is driving it and it has been very difficult to lock. I've paid for it to be fixed twice but the fixes didn't last. I watched YouTube videos, read forum comments, and a coworker lent me the manual for the truck. I felt confident that I could get the door panel off and I did it! Then I messed around with the door lock until I found out what was wrong, a misaligned set-screw.
I fixed it and put it back together. Hopefully, this fix will last longer than the other "fixes". If not, I know how to disconnect the automatic locks so at least we will be able to lock and unlock the door easily. I am so glad I finally tackled that problem.
I am taking a half day on Friday to get a head start this weekend since my niece and I are volunteering on Saturday morning with the water conservation group. That means I need to buy my supplies Thursday evening so I had better get organised. There is so much that needs to be done!