Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Million and One Things

This week has been so crazy and it is only Wednesday.  On Monday, I still wasn't feeling 100% but I had to go to work so I did.  I took some cold medicine and must have spend a good 20 minutes staring at my computer for no reason and then laughing to myself because I was staring for no reason.  On the way home my truck started idling funny at stop lights.  It was shaking and sputtered when I accelerated.  I had to stop at the feed store to buy more turkey food for my quail and then to another store to buy cat litter.  The truck was still shaking and sputtering.  As I turned on to my street, the 'check engine' light went on so I knew I was going to have to take my truck to a mechanic.  When I got to the front door of the house, I noticed a trail of ants going inside.  Ick.  I followed them and one group branched off to the kitchen while the other group went down the hall.  I turned on the hall light and it was burned out.  Ahhhh...too many things going wrong at once!  I changed the light bulb, sprayed some bug killer at the door, mopped up the ants, and then proceeded to do all of my regular chores.

I tried to think of a nearby mechanic but I only knew of ones that had over-charged me.  The only one that I heard good things about was 40 minutes away near my mother's house.  I called my mother and she said I could borrow her car so the next morning I got up early and drove all the way there.  Luckily, the truck was acting normal again, although, that turned out to be a bad thing when the mechanic couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.  The check engine code said that it was mis-firing but they checked the spark plugs, wires, and fuel injectors and couldn't find the problem.  I also asked them to fix the automatic door lock because it wasn't locking.  At least that is fixed now  So, after work I took my mother's car back and picked up my truck  It was a long day.

Today I had my dentist appointment for my permanent crown.  It went well, I think, but I still have a problem with one of the teeth on that side and I will have to wait until January to fix it because I am all out of insurance money for this year.  I shall chew carefully.  After the dentist, my truck started acting up again, shaking and idling rough.  I ignored it.  At least the 'check engine' light didn't come one.  I stopped at Walmart to buy the only sinus medicine that works for me.  It is the Walmart brand of sinus decongestant and I have relied on it for years.  They didn't have it.  I was shocked  I'm going to have to check another Walmart or (heaven forbid) actually find another brand that works.  I hope I can find enough of the pills in my purse, truck, and cabinet to get me through this weekend.  My sinuses have been giving me a lot of trouble lately with all the weather changes and then I was sick so my ears are plugged and I am going to fly tomorrow and that always messes me up.  Maybe I can buy some at a Walmart in Minnesota.

So, I leave tomorrow but before I go I have to write out instructions for the house/pet sitter.  She will be staying here and taking care of the dogs, kitties, quail and garden.  I attempted to hook up a simple drip watering system tonight but it got too dark so I will have to finish it tomorrow.  I should have done it long ago.  It would have saved me a lot of time.  I dusted off my suitcase and washed some clothes for the funeral which I haven't worn in a very long time.  The last time I traveled I went to Washington state to help my parents pack for their move to my house.  That was 2 1/2 years ago, I think.  That pet sitter made such a mess in my house, I never wanted to leave my dogs alone with anyone again.  Luckily, I trust my new pet sitter.  She works at an animal shelter so I am sure she can handle what ever happens even if my dogs aren't very well behaved for other people.

I have a ton of little things to do so I will try to get some sleep and not think about all of the things that I might forget.  Flying really stresses me.  I'm always afraid I am going to miss my flight or forget something important.  It is only 4 days.  I'll be back in no time at all.  I can do this.


Dave said...

OMG Daizy, that's a lot on your plate ad not just now ut as long as the next few months (the dental crown). I hope your truck gets you to the airport on time without problems. Any one of those annoyances would be plenty for me; back in early 2007 I had two of them going on at the same time (car trouble and a dental crown) and it stressed me out something terrible.

Anonymous said...

how is your nephew dealing with the loss of his grandmother? He seems to have had to deal with a lot of loss, poor kid.

Daizy said...

I know, Dave, having things go wrong in too many categories is the worst. The next day my truck did the mis-fire shaking thing again but at least the check light didn't come on. I got to and from the airport with no problem. This will be a hard problem to solve if my truck keeps this up.

Daizy said...

Anonymous, my nephew seemed in good spirits and wants to stay living there so that is a good sign. It was fun to see his room there and to meet all of his relatives on his father's side.