Last Thursday, it rained. I was worried that the rain would affect my car starting, but it didn't, until Friday. I can't be sure it was the rain but it was the only thing different. On Friday, I went out to my car and it would not start. Up went the hood, down went the hammer, then the car started. After work, I was the last one to leave. I probably should have tried to start it before that. It was dead again. I tried the hammer, and again, and four times later, I was getting worried, but it started. On Saturday, I ran outside to start it before loading up two dogs for the adoption event. It hesitated, but started. No dogs adopted at the event. Two families were interested in Sassy but her medical costs and interest in cats kept her from getting adopted. After the event, the car started right up.
On Sunday, no problems. On Monday, I thought I should probably get a new starter so I called them and they said to bring it in on Tuesday. I dropped it off and got a ride to work from a co-worker. That evening, I called to see how things were going. The mechanic said the car had a new starter but it wouldn't start and they needed to keep it another day. One of the young mechanics gave me a ride home in his well-worn truck. I said, "I bet you got a great deal on this truck." He smiled broadly, "Only $600!" He just got his first apartment too. Almost to my house, he realized he had left his wallet at work. I tipped him $20 for the ride. He looked like he needed it. Wednesday, I got a ride from co-workers again. The car was finally finished at 3pm. They had to take it to another shop for diagnostics. One of the circuits had failed. I don't know if the starter was bad or it was just the circuit but I have a new starter and a new circuit and an oil change for $400. There goes most of my extra cash for this month and I still have a surgery consult for Jimmy-dog next week.
Jimmy-dog has been much improved in the last week. His back seems to be getting better. I asked the vet for an alternative to Tramadol since I couldn't tell if it was helping or not. She gave him Gabapentin for a week and then I used up the rest of the Rimadyl that he had from before. He actually tried to get on the recliner, although he wasn't able to jump up, and he has been moving faster and terrorizing my chi-weenie again (much to the chi-weenie's dismay). I don't know how long this will last but it is good to see him with more spunk again.
Oh, and I wanted to show you the pretty Canna plants that my mother gave me a couple of months ago. They flowered! So pretty!