I got out the special tool that my co-worker lent me, turned off the water to the house, sprayed some WD-40 on the nut and attempted to loosen it. It did not budge. I can see how people who are stronger than I am might break the pipe while trying to unscrew this thing but there was no danger of me breaking anything except maybe the screwdriver that I was using for leverage. I gave up and turned the water back on. Luckily, there was no wild spraying of water or anything else dramatic. I was relieved that there was no need for an emergency call to a plumber and also relieved that I had tried and failed and could move on to the next chore on the list. I put aluminum foil around the faucet stem so that when it drips it will drip in to the shower instead of in to the wall. It only seems to drip when I turn the cold water on. This chore has now moved off my urgent list and is on my "when I get around to it" list. I'm thinking that I should buy a new showerhead and controls and have a plumber install them for me when he replaces the faucet stems. That will be part of my bathroom renovation when I get to it.
|Original 1975 faucet stem. Not going to budge.|
For the rest of the weekend, I was trying out kitchen ideas. I've been changing the curtains with fabric that I have around the house, sheets, dish towels, blanket throws. I haven't found the right color combination yet. That's a work in progress. A brilliant idea hit me when I was trying to make my kitchen more practical. I moved the refrigerator out so that it backs up to the washer/dryer and frees up space next to the stove. I don't know where my before picture went to but you get the idea. The fridge used to be under the top cabinets.