I went outside today to transfer my rainwater around so that I have the most space available when it rains. By the way, it did not rain a drop today. What's up with that Mr. Weatherman? First, I prepared to fill my RV tank. I turned on the pump. It made noise but no water came out. Darn. I tried again, I shook the pump (isn't that the first step in trouble-shooting?), I looked for a reset button (none), I turned the pump on and off many times. Still nothing.
My first thought was that the pump had finally died. It is 6 years old, maybe that is its lifespan. Then I remembered the only thing that I know about pumps...they have to be primed. I unscrewed the top faucet and poured water in. It worked! Water shot up like a fountain. Ok, the pump still works. That means it is the check valve that is faulty (also called the back-flow prevention device). Now I had to go to the hardware store and hope that they had one. I wanted to make sure I bought the right thing so I attempted to unscrew the thing. That failed and I had to cut off one end.
I made a list of other plumbing items that I needed including back-up faucets and connectors for the 2 other tanks. While trying out different connectors another faucet broke off inside another piece. I attempted to get it out but only succeeded in slicing my finger. Well, it's not a job well done unless there is blood, sweat and tears, right?
Just as I pulled in to the parking lot of the hardware store I realised that I forgot my bag of plumbing pieces. I went in anyway and tried to remember what I needed. That was hopeless, everything looked alike, so I went back home and got my bag.
Once at the store a nice gentleman helped me (it is much easier to get help at the little Ace hardware store than to track someone down in Home Depot). He even unscrewed the stuck end of the check valve (with a vice) so that I didn't have to buy so many pieces. He also showed me a compression fitting I could use so that it would be easier to disassemble if I needed to replace it again. He asked if I was doing the project myself. Yes, I said. He said, "I thought so because you were paying special attention." Yes, little girly me is doing her own plumbing.
Total cost was $70 (ouch) but now I have lots of faucets for those plumbing emergencies and $15 of that was on brackets for my shed's shelf. He also told me a good tip, to store my pipe glue upside down so that the lid doesn't get glued shut. I had to buy more glue because mine was, of course, glued shut.
When I got home the wind was really kicking up but I quickly put my pump back together and it worked! I didn't glue it yet because I want to reposition the tank a little bit so I have to wait until it is empty. But it worked fine without being glued. I finished transferring my water, did a load of laundry and now I am ready for the rain. I sure do hope it rains tomorrow. The weather man promised!